Zazzle Products

Friday, November 4, 2011

Trying new things cubism



Can you be stuck in a rut and not know?  Possibly.  I think it's essential to get out of your comfort zone once in a while: play with other mediums, other styles, or even just refresh yourself with the people who inspired you in the first place.

I am taking a drawing class - because as much as I paint - I tend to forgo the niceities of actual, finished drawings.  We went to Eden Park in Cincinnati and spent a few days wandering and drawing from life.  I wasn't overly impressed with my results - but the instructor furthered the assignment by having us take our drawings and do a composite drawing in a Cubist manner.  I still regressed to paint for the final product but I used gouache (not my usual) because the satiny yet flat finish seemed to help me switch gears to Cubism.  I read quite a bit and refreshed myself with images of Cubist work.  I do not claim to comprehend Cubism fully but it seemed to reveal more and more to me as I worked.  I was so happy with my Eden Park scene that I went on to start a portrait of my boyfriend in oils (still in progress).      

I am not changing over to cubism as yet but I am happy with the new perspective this little exploration has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment